Man Behind TungLok
Andrew Tjioe is highly recognised for his foresight and keen business acumen. He is an established and well-respected leader in the F&B industry, and apart from his appointment as President & CEO, he currently holds the following portfolios:-
- Vice Chairman of the Franchising and Licensing Association of Singapore (FLA)
- Vice President of the World Association of Chinese Cuisine (WACC)
- Executive Committee Member of the Board of Directors of the Singapore Hotel and Tourism Education Centre (SHATEC)
- EXCO Member of the Sentosa Harbourfront Business Association (SHBA)
- Member of the Board of Governors of Temasek Polytechnic
- Chairman of Temasek Polytechnic’s School of Applied Science Advisory Committee
- Patron of Joo Chiat Citizen’s Consultative Committee
Andrew received his secondary education at Chinese High School, and attended Hwa Chong Junior College. A Business Administration graduate of Oklahoma State University, Andrew’s career started with a Singapore-based multi-national corporation in 1981. Thereafter, he joined his family’s textile manufacturing business, Oceanic Textiles.
A keen gourmand with strong interest in the restaurant business, Andrew also gained management experience by working at the Tjioe family’s first restaurant, Charming Garden, when it opened in 1980.
Andrew established TungLok Group in 1984 with the opening of the Group’s flagship Tung Lok Restaurant, located at Liang Court. The Group has since been well recognised as one of the largest and leading Chinese restaurant chains in Singapore. Under Andrew’s leadership, the Group has grown significantly over more than 30 years and now owns, manages and franchises more than 40 restaurants in Singapore, Indonesia, China, Japan and Vietnam.
In recognition of his success, he has received several accolades, both in Singapore and overseas.
- He was awarded the ‘Singapore Restaurateur of the Year’ by Wine & Dine in 1997 and 2001.
- In November 2000, he was presented the “2000 International Management Action Award” (IMAA) by the Institute of Management and PSB jointly for Excellence in Management Action for his outstanding management of TungLok Group.
- In November 2001, Andrew was awarded the ‘Tourism Entrepreneur of the Year’ award by the Singapore Tourism Board in recognition of his vast contributions in the tourism and lifestyle businesses in Singapore.
- At the World Gourmet Summit Awards of Excellence in April 2005, he was awarded the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’, in recognition of his innovative contributions and tireless dedication to the restaurant industry in Singapore and abroad.
- In November 2006, he was awarded the ‘Hospitality Entrepreneur of the Year’ in the Hospitality Asia Platinum Awards Singapore Series 2006-07, conceptualised to recognise the dedication and commitment of industry-related players beyond the call of duty.
- In November 2007, Andrew received the ‘Most Creative Entrepreneurial Leaders of Asia-Pacific’ award at the APCE (Asia-Pacific Chinese Entrepreneurial Leaders Forum) 2007.
- In February 2008, he won the prestigious ‘International Star Diamond Lifetime Achievement Award’ awarded by the New York-based American Academy of Hospitality Sciences.
- In April 2011, Andrew also won the outstanding award of the regional ‘Restaurateur of the Year’ at the World Gourmet Summit Awards of Excellence.
- In September 2011, he was awarded the prestigious ‘Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year 2011 – Lifestyle’ by the Global Accountancy Organisation, Ernst & Young.
- In February 2012, Andrew was presented with the Asian Masters ICON Award.
- In April 2013, Andrew won the renowned ‘The 11th China Hotel Golden Horse Award’ which is recognized as the ‘Oscar’ of the China hotel industry.
- In May 2013, he became the proud recipient of the Epicure Excellence Award 2013.
With sharp business acumen and a passion for revolutionising the food and beverage industry, Andrew has further created a positive image for Singapore as a destination on the world gourmet map. The Group has been listed in the Singapore Stock Exchange since March 2001.
1 / 4